Jasper Cropsey. Ravine at Hastings. Watercolor, 1895. Newington-Cropsey Foundation. (Average user rating: 0.0)
The Cropsey Homestead, also known as Ever Rest, was built in 1835 and purchased by Jasper F. Cropsey in 1885. Cropsey extended Ever Rest by adding an artist's studio to it in 1885. Today the home and studio are open by guided tour by appointment on weekdays and are part of the Newington Cropsey Foundation. The tour passes by a window that provides a view of the Hudson River, and beside the window hangs a Cropsey painting of the same view. Also available at an adjacent site is a museum with a large collection of Cropsey paintings, shown by appointment.
Driving Directions: We recommend Google Map . Site coordinates: 40.992691 Lat., -73.881813 Long.
Location Notes: The views that inspired Cropsey have been substantially changed by development around the Cropsey house and along the waterfront. Glimpses of the view can be seen from the residential streets and waterfront parks in Hastings-on-Hudson. The best match for the Ravine at Hastings can be found by taking the house tour from the Newington Cropsey Foundation. See instructions on the website noted on the right.