Site #17 Jasper Cropsey Home and Studio

Introduction

The Cropsey Homestead, also known as Ever Rest, was built in 1835 and purchased by Jasper F. Cropsey in 1885. Cropsey extended Ever Rest by adding an artist's studio to it in 1885. Today the home and studio are open by guided tour by appointment on weekdays and are part of the Newington Cropsey Foundation. The tour passes by a window that provides a view of the Hudson River, and beside the window hangs a Cropsey painting of the same view. Also available at an adjacent site is a museum with a large collection of Cropsey paintings, shown by appointment.

Plan Your Trip

Contact
Visit their Website
914-478-1372

Admissions
Free 

Parking
Free Lot 

Restroom
Yes

Accessibility
Somewhat Accessible 
Meets few ADA standards and has significant barriers. Most visitors with disabilities will need assistance

Hours
Closed in January and August 
Mon-Fri 10AM-1PM


 

Map & Directions

Driving Directions: We recommend Google Map . Site coordinates: 40.992691 Lat., -73.881813 Long.

Location Notes: The views that inspired Cropsey have been substantially changed by development around the Cropsey house and along the waterfront. Glimpses of the view can be seen from the residential streets and waterfront parks in Hastings-on-Hudson. The best match for the Ravine at Hastings can be found by taking the house tour from the Newington Cropsey Foundation. See instructions on the website noted on the right.


Photography / Painting Credits

Jasper Cropsey. Ravine at Hastings. Watercolor, 1895. Newington-Cropsey Foundation.

Jasper Francis Cropsey. Evening on Hudson. Watercolor on paper, 1885, 12 x 24 in. Newington-Cropsey Foundation, IAP 62170121.

Henry Miller. View of the Hudson from Hastings-on-Hudson. Photograph, 26 May 2012. Courtesy of Henry Miller.