Site #19 Storm King from Long Dock Park
Introduction by 2016 Cole Fellow Casey Monroe
Marking the northern gateway of the Hudson Highlands, Storm King looms powerfully over the Hudson River. The mountain inspired Hudson River School artists to muse upon its dynamic and sublime countenance. Once prosaically called Butter Hill, the mountain was renamed in 1820, thanks to American poet Nathanial Parker Willis: “When the white cloud-beard descends upon his breast in the morning… there is sure to be a rain-storm before night… Should not STORM-KING, then, be his proper title?” This idea of the mountain’s vigorous energy and raw power is captured in Thomas Cole’s Storm King of the Hudson and Samuel Colman’s Storm King on the Hudson. When a proposed power plant threatened to defile Storm King, Scenic Hudson led a successful campaign with thousands of concerned citizens to preserve the mountain, setting a landmark precedent for protecting our nation’s treasured scenery.
This site was prepared for New York State Water Resources Institute and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Hudson River Estuary Program, with support from the NYS Environmental Protection Fund
Plan Your Trip
Visit their Website
Also accessible by train via a short walk from MTA’s Beacon Station.
Meets all standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Open all seasons, restrooms seasonal, portable toilets
Dawn to dusk with gate closing as marked
Map & Directions
Driving Directions: We recommend Google Map . Site coordinates: 41.50475 Lat., -73.98594 Long.
Photography / Painting Credits
Thomas Cole. Storm King of the Hudson. Oil on canvas, 1825/1827, 23 in x 31 1/4 in. Gift of the Ball Brothers Foundation, David Owsley Museum of Art, Ball State University, 1995.035.055.'
Samuel Colman. Storm King on the Hudson. Oil on canvas, 1866, 32 1/8 in x 59 7/8 in. Gift of John Gellatly, 1929.6.20.
Casey Monroe. Casey Monroe, Storm King from Long Dock Park. , 2016. Casey Monroe.